How to pay utility bills during COVID-19 at a reduced cost and avoid scams
Tech firm Kibo Capital Group Limited innovation department has unveiled a simple toll-free (without charges) way to enable Kenyans to buy Kenya Power & Lighting Company (KPLC) electricity token and paying postpaid bills through a simple shortcode 40512 and paybill 732929 respectively.
Once one pays their post paid bill through Tsenda’s systems, they are given an e-Receipt. The Token dispensing system works from a Safaricom line with MPESA.
To purchase prepaid electricity tokens one has to send their metre number followed by ‘#’ key and amount to toll free shortcode 40512.
1234xxxx912#100 then wait for prompt
For the Postpaid bills, one has to follow the usual Safaricom MPESA paybill use i.e.
- Go to Safaricom SIM Tool Kit, select M-PESA menu, select “Lipa na M-PESA“
- Select “Pay Bill“
- Select “Enter Business no.“732929″ and press OK
- Select “Enter Account no.“put your account KPLC account number” and press OK
- “Enter Amount“, Enter the amount you wish to deposit and press “OK”
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and press “OK”
- Confirm all the details are correct and press “OK”
- M-PESA HAKIKISHA, You will get a notification with the intended recipient’s name e.g. “Pay TSENDA CORPORATION KSh100.00 for Account 6711xx. To STOP this transaction, send any letter or number within 25 seconds. Cost: KSH0.00.” To stop a wrong transaction, Enter “1” and press Send within 25 seconds. Pressing “Cancel” will complete the transaction.
- You will receive a confirmation SMS from M-PESA.
- TSENDA CORPORATION will also send you a confirmation SMS with a link to an e-Receipt to confim payment.
buy prepaid KPLC tokens
pay for postpaid KPLC bills