TikTok has published its Q1 2021 Community Guidelines Enforcement Report as the platform continues to bring visibility to the critical work of moderating content in order to keep TikTok a safe and welcoming place for its community. TikTok has published Transparency Reports since 2019, and starting with this report, insights related to the enforcement of its Community Guidelines will be published on a quarterly basis while information related to legal requests will continue to be published bi-annually.
In addition, below are some of the key insights from the report, which you can read in full here.
- 61,951,327videos were removed for violating TikTok’s Community Guidelines or Terms of Service, which is less than 1% of all videos uploaded on TikTok.
- 82% of these videos were removed before they received any views,91% before any user reports, and 93% within 24 hours of being posted.
- 1,921,900 ads were rejected for violating advertising policies and guidelines.
- 11,149,514accounts were removed for violating our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service, of which 7,263,952 were removed for potentially belonging to a person under the age of 13. This is less than 1% of all accounts on TikTok.
- 71,470,161accounts were blocked from being created through automated means.
TikTok has continued to expand the information it provides with each report to help the industry push forward when it comes to transparency and accountability around user safety. To bring more visibility to the actions the platform takes to protect minors, in this report TikTok has added the number of accounts removed from the full TikTok experience for potentially belonging to an underage person. This builds upon TikTok’s previous work to strengthen its default privacy settings for teens, offer tools to empower parents and families, and limit features like direct messaging and livestream to those age 16 and over.
In the future, TikTok will publish this data on its online transparency center which they are working to overhaul to be a home for our transparency reporting and other information about our efforts to protect the safety and integrity of our platform.